Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A beautiful bread dressing to serve with poultry or pork.
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup orange-flavored liqueur or 1⁄2 cup triple sec or 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- 4 cups bread cubes, 1/2 inch cubes from a crusty, day-old baguette
- 1 cup apple, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup chicken broth, more if needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Put dried cranberries into a small bowl, add liqueur (substitute orange juice, if you prefer).
- Let soak for an hour, then drain excess liqueur (save to deglaze a pan).
- Meanwhile, put wild rice into a saucepan, add water to cover the rice by about an inch.
- Bring to a boil, immediately reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, and most of the grains have popped open, approximately 40-60 minutes.
- Pour the rice into a colander and drain well.
- Heat oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In a medium skillet melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and celery, cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into a large bowl.
- Stir in the orange zest.
- Add the cooked wild rice, cranberries, bread cubes, apple, sage, parsley and pecans.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour in the orange juice and broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir to blend, bread cubes should be evenly moistened. Some of the broth may pool at the bottom of the bowl but, will get absorbed as the dressing cooks; or if mixture is too dry add a little more broth it depends on how dry the bread was).
- Pour the dressing mixture into the baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake until hot throughout, about 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until dressing is crusty on top, another 15-20 minutes.