Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
MN twist to a southwest favorite. Got this one from the MN Wild Rice Council at the MN State Fair! YUMMMY!!!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 (10 ounce) boxgreen giant shoepeg frozen white corn in butter sauce, thawed
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (9 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- In large suacepan, brown beef, onion and garlic- drain fat.
- Add corn, chilies, beef broth, enchilada sauce and cumin.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat about 15 minutes.
- Add wild rice and cilantro.
- Simmer 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls, top with cheese.
Yum yum! I was looking for something to use my enchilada sauce with, and I just had to try this one...being from MN and all. I used pre-cooked canned wild rice, and red hot enchilada sauce. I also used regular yellow corn because it is just what I had on hand. DH loved it, thanks! UPDATE- I recently made this with lean ground turkey and chicken broth isntead of beef. It was great, an easy and lower cal substitution!
WHEW!!! This is one spicy soup, very good and filling though! I even bought the MILD enchilada sauce! I think next time I will only use one can of enchilada sauce and put in a can of diced tomatoes. Thanks for the recipe!