Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy but delicious one-dish chicken casserole. We love wild rice up here in the north and we eat it often. This dish can be easily doubled for a larger family or potluck. I have also used red and yellow bell peppers for more color.
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 4 celery ribs, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 whole chicken breasts, halved and skinned
- soy sauce
- Thoroughly rinse and drain rice.
- In sprayed or buttered 2 quart casserole or baking dish, mix together wild rice, celery, green pepper, green onion, water, bouillon and garlic powder.
- Place chicken on top of rice mixture. Brush chicken with soy sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until rice is tender.
I really liked the flavor of this. However, I followed the recipe exactly and the rice was still hard when the chicken was plenty done. I put the rice and vegetables with the liquid in a pot and simmered it for awhile and that helped. If I made this again I would add in long grain brown rice along with the wild rice.