Recipe by Leslie in Texas
A delicious side dish for just about any kind of meat. Originally from a Junior League of El Paso cookbook. I've been making this for over 20 years and everyone has always enjoyed it! It can be assembled earlier in the day and baked later.
- 1 (6 ounce) packageuncle ben long grain and wild rice blend or 1 cup wild rice, mixture
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (1 3/4 ounce) package blanched almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry sausage; crumble and drain on paper towels.
- Remove all but about 1 tablespoon sausage grease; add onions and mushrooms and sauté till onions are wilted.
- In another pan, melt butter; stir in flour.
- Stir in cream and chicken broth, stirring until thickened.
- Add seasonings to simmering sauce.
- Add the sausage, onions and mushrooms to the sauce.
- Add wild rice mix with package of seasonings to the sauce mixture. (If using plain wild rice mixture, you may want to adjust the dried spices added to the sauce.) Stir well.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2-2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes at 350°.
- Remove cover and sprinkle with almonds.
- Return to oven for about 10 minutes to toast almonds.