Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Color, texture, fiber, flavor--it's all here! And protein from the quinoa!! Recipe comes from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. The range of sugar allows you to make these sweeter or not, according to your taste. If you are using leftover cooked grains and they have been salted, reduce the salt accordingly. The timing does not include cooking the grains beforehand.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked quinoa
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 10 standard (2 1/2 inch diameter) muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Place the flour, salt, baking powder, and brown sugar in a medium to large bowl.
- Break up any little clumps of sugar with your fingers, and then stir the mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the granulated sugar, if you like your muffins on the sweet side.
- Add the cooked grains, using a fork or your fingert so separate and distribute them throughout.
- Stir in the dried cranberries.
- Measure the 1 cup milk into a 2-cup liquid measurer.
- Add the egg and vanilla, and beat gently with a fork or a small whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour this mixture into the dry ingredients, adding the melted butter at the same time.
- Using a spoon or a rubber spatula, stir from the bottom of the bowl until the dry ingredients are all moistened.
- Don't overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- For smaller muffins, fill the cups about four-fifths full. For larger muffins, fill them up to the top.
- If you have extra batter, spray one or two additional muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray and fill with the remaining batter.
- Bake in the midddle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven,then remove the muffins from the pan and place them on a rack to cool.
- Wait at least 30 minutes before serving.