1/6 Photos of Wild Rice and Oat Bran Bread (With Bread Machine Directions)
Wild rice, with its nutty flavor and chewy texture, speckles this lovely oat loaf. Times do not include rise time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, stir together 1 cup of the bread flour and the yeast; set aside.
- 2In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, honey, butter, and salt just until warm (120°F to 130°F) and butter is almost melted.
- 3Add the milk mixture on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- 4Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 5Using a wooden spoon, stir in whole wheat flour, wild rice, oat bran, and as much of remaining bread flour as you can.
- 6Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining bread flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball.
- 7Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (1 to 1-1/4 hours).
- 9Punch down dough.
- 10Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 11Coat an 8x8x2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- 12Shape dough into a loaf by patting or rolling.
- 13To shape by patting, gently pat and pinch dough into a loaf shape, tucking edges beneath.
- 14To shape by rolling, on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle.
- 15Roll up, starting from a short side.
- 16Seal seams with fingertips as you roll.
- 17Place shaped dough in prepared pan.
- 18Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).
- 19Preheat oven to 375°F
- 20Bake about 35 minutes to 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- 21If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning. Remove from pan.
- 22Cool on a wire rack. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).
- 23Bread Machine Directions:
- 24Add the ingredients to 1-1/2-pound loaf bread machine according to the manufacturer's directions, except use 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or bread machine yeast.
- 25If available, select the whole grain cycle, check dough and, if necessary, add more bread flour or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a dough that forms a smooth ball. Remove hot bread from machine as soon as it is done. Cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice and Oat Bran Bread (With Bread Machine Directions)
Serving Size: 1 (754 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1921.6
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 65.9 mg
- Sodium 2059.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 366.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.8 g
- Sugars 51.3 g
- Protein 67.4 g