Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tasty and heart-warming, this recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 1 lb mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse rice and drain; drop into boiling water along with the salt and cook for approximately 45 minutes or until tender andwater is well absorbed.
- Set to the side until rice is dry and fluffy.
- Wash mushrooms quickly in cold water and saute in butter until well browned.
- Remove mushrooms from skillet and add flour; rub to a smooth paste.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste, add mushrooms and heat through.
- Pour over rice and serve hot.
Wonderful side dish with tonights supper Recipe #279234 I used garden style wild rice and used half whipping cream and half milk for the gravy. My DH doesn't really care for rice but he loved this :) Thanks so much for sharing a wonderful rice recipe!!