Recipe by mollypaul
Tasty and heart-warming, this recipe comes from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Top Review by Marsha D.
Wonderful side dish with tonights supper Recipe #279234 I used garden style wild rice and used half whipping cream and half milk for the gravy. My DH doesn't really care for rice but he loved this :) Thanks so much for sharing a wonderful rice recipe!!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 1 lb mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice and drain; drop into boiling water along with the salt and cook for approximately 45 minutes or until tender andwater is well absorbed.
- Set to the side until rice is dry and fluffy.
- Wash mushrooms quickly in cold water and saute in butter until well browned.
- Remove mushrooms from skillet and add flour; rub to a smooth paste.
- Add milk gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Season to taste, add mushrooms and heat through.
- Pour over rice and serve hot.