Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my version of rice pilaf, simple and tasty. An old girlfriend gave me this recipe, and it was one of the first dishes I made my husband when we were married.
- 118.29 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml wild rice
- 118.29 ml toasted slivered almonds
- 44.37 ml chopped chives, green onion,and green pepper
- 396.89 g can sliced mushrooms
- 709.77 ml chicken stock
- 4.92 ml salt
- Melt margarine.
- Saute rice, almonds, chives, green onion, green pepper, mushrooms until rice turns yellow.
- Put in casserole with stock and salt.
- Cover, Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until all liquid is absorbed.
What a great rice dish. I will make this often, as we all loved it so much! Fresh mushrooms make it extra special!
Excellent flavor and aroma! I used a wild/long-grain rice mixture with outstanding results. Only one "negative" comment: since this is wild rice which is black...how does the cook know when the rice has turned "yellow" as noted in Step #2? Also, I would add in Step #4 that this should be cooked with a cover/lid for the 1 1/2 hours, THEN remove the lid, and continue baking, keeping a close eye on the liquid levels and the tenderness of the grains. Otherwise--superb!
I use this same recipe. I am not a big fan of rice but I really do like this. Everyone else loves it.