Recipe by Childrens Minister
This casserole is fabulous! Incredible flavor and a perfect addition to your holiday menu. Give this a try and you will be hooked after one bite.
- 2 (6 1/4 ounce) boxesfast cooking wild rice mix (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups finly chopped onions
- 2 cups finly chopped celery
- 8 ounces diced water chestnuts
- 16 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 34 Ritz crackers or 34 other butter flavored crackers, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring rice, seasoning packet, two tablespoons butter, and broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then pour onto a baking sheet and spread out to cool for 20 minutes.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a non-stick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add onion, celery, mushrooms, and hotsauce.
- cook stirring frequently 8 minutes or until tender.
- Season with pepper, adjust for taste.
- Add soup and stir well.
- Combine rice, soup mixture, and cestnuts in a large bowl and stir well.
- Spoon into a greased 13x9 oven proof dish, and smooth out to edges.
- (At this point you can cover and chill this overnight, make sure the casserole stands at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before baking).
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine crushed crackers and 2 tablespoons melted butter together.
- Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.