Recipe by Karrie Stewart
I don't know where my friend Kristin got this recipe. She gave me some to bring home and try and it was so good that I hid it so I wouldn't have to share it with anyone. I made it the next day myself and couldn't leave it alone. This is one of those recipes that you make excuses to go to the kitchen!
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I used regular Calrose rice. I did not have a package of wild rice so consider this review with the substitution. I used 1 can of kidney beans and 2 hard boiled eggs and I used Miracle whip. I know those who use mayonnaise are groaning. I use both in recipes. I did not use jalapenos, with small kids eating. This was good, the orange juice and chicken broth gave it a unique flavor. It was filling and delicious!
- 1 (6 ounce) package wild rice mix (your choice)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 3 large hard-boiled eggs (peeled & diced)
- 1 large minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds (toasted)
- 1 -2 chopped fresh jalapeno (remember to use gloves)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Toast almonds for about 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and cool.
- In the meantime, cook rice mix in chicken broth, orange juice, and water until done.
- Let cool.
- Rinse kidney beans.
- In small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, salt, And both peppers, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cooked rice, kidney beans, eggs, onion, jalapeños, mayonnaise mixture, and almonds.
- Mix well and chill for 2 hours.