Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I love soups....in fact, I love any one dish meal or grill! I think this one is best for a cold winter night.
- 226.79 g bacon, diced
- 2 small onions, diced (about 3/4 to 1 cup)
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 4 stalk celery, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1419.54 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml wild rice, uncooked
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme, chopped (if using dry, half the amount)
- 14.79 ml fresh basil, chopped (if using dry, half the amount)
- 2.46-4.92 ml red pepper flakes
- 473.18 ml frozen whole kernel corn
- 473.18 ml whipping cream
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until almost crisp. Add onion, sweet red pepper, celery, and garlic, and saute 5 minutes. Drain well, and set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven; stir in rice. Add the reserved vegetable mixture, thyme, basil, and red pepper flakes; stir well. Return the mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Cook the corn according to the package directions; drain. Add the corn, cream, and salt to taste to the mixture in the Dutch oven; simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle chowder into individual soup bowls.
This soup is fantastic...I made a few modifications and loved it. I used turkey bacon and instead of two cups of whipping cream, I used about 1/2 c. cream and the rest fat-free half-and-half. I also probably doubled the spices. This is a keeper!