Recipe by smellyvegetarian
This is a takeoff of a Cooking Light recipe which calls for quinoa. I realized at the last minute I didn't have enough, and this recipe was born as a result.
Top Review by awalde
Yumm! for this recipe I used barley (I did not get the pearl one), wild rice mix.
As I did not have celery root I used one big carrot and celery green fresh from the garden that I added at the last moment.
I prepared the double quanty for us 4.
Thanks a lot for your recipe and the perfect instructions for the cooking time!
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth or 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 177.44 ml wild rice
- 59.14 ml pearl barley
- 14.79 ml Smart Balance butter spread
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 236.59 ml leek, green parts (or 2 c green and white, omit onion)
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml ground sage
- 4 garlic cloves
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries (cherry flavored are great!)
- 59.14 ml walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice and barley. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand 15 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add leek, celery, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sage; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in cooked rice, cranberries, and walnuts; cook until thoroughly heated.