Recipe by Bobtail
This is from one of my new cookbooks by Cookshelf - Rice and Risotto. I have not tried it, but the ingredients sound wonderful. Hope you agree and enjoy it!!! Cook time is the time it takes to cook the rice.
Top Review by Merlot
This is probably one of the BEST salads I have ever had. Great combination of ingredients. We especially love the walnuts, bacon and wild rice that goes perfectly ith the scallops. This elegant salad is perfect when you want to impress your guests. Thanks for sharing, Bobtail. It's a keeper for sure!!!
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (more if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 3 -4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup walnut oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 -3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 8 -12 large scallops, cut in half lengthwise
- lemons or lime slice, optional
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice in the water, as directed on the package.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Toast the nuts lightly in a skillet, for about 2 minutes.
- Let the nuts cool and chop coarsely.
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a pan.
- Stir in the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp and brown.
- Drain bacon on paper towel.
- Remove some of the oil from the pan.
- Stir in the shallots, cooking for 3-4 minutes, until soft.
- Stir the toasted nuts, bacon and shallots into the rice.
- Add the walnut oil, vinegar, 1/2 of the chopped dill, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the ingredients to mix well and set aside.
- Brush a non-stick pan with the remaining oil.
- Heat until very hot.
- Add the scallops and cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Do not overcook.
- Divide the rice mixture evenly among 4 individual plates.
- Top with scallops.
- Sprinkle with remaining dill.
- Serve immediately with lemon or lime slices if desired.