Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm not sure where this recipe came from but I started making this for my grandfather when I was 12 yrs old. My grandfather will be turning 92 this year and still enjoys my clam chowder.
- 1 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 (8 ounce) cans minced clams (and juice)
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash celery salt
- In a large pot, saute' scallions and onions in butter; about 5 minutes.
- Add diced potato, then the flour; blend well.
- Add milk.
- Heat to almost boiling; stirring constantly.
- Add clams with juice, salt, pepper, and celery salt.
- Continue to cook another 10 minutes.
This is very good! I used whole milk for extra body and added 1 t minced garlic. It was a very comforting soup on a chilly day. I sprinkled fresh snipped chives on top for color. A good easy recipe! Thanks Caryn I will use this recipe again!
Great onion flavor! I used fat free half and half for the milk. It was nice and creamy and just the right thickness. It's the perfect clam chowder for onion lovers. Thanx!