Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A savory chili that can be tweaked to personal taste. Add chicken or beef, but great as a veggie chili.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Fantastic Foods vegetarian chili mix
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 6 ounces Rotel tomatoes & chilies, hot
- 6 ounces Rotel chili fixins tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry barley
- Rinse the dry beans and add to crock pot.
- Add 4 cups of water and cook until tender.
- Add 1.5 cup of the dry chili mix, undrained Rotel tomatoes, 1/2 cup dry barley.
- Add 1 cup of additional water.
- For less heat you may just add stewed tomatoes.
I liked this for ease and simplicity :)
I cooked the beans in the pressure cooker before putting in the slow cooker. 2 cups, because they double to 4 cups when cooked.
I put about 2 cups water in with the other ingredients.
The only other change I made was I added an 8oz can of tomato sauce near the end for depth of flavor and because it looked a little dry.
I really liked how the barley added a chewy texture to the chili
This recipe makes a tasty basic chili. The amount of water seems to be off for cooking with dried beans. I started by soaking the beans overnight, then draining and rinsing them before adding them to the crockpot along with a crushed clove of garlic, covering with fresh water and cooking all day on low while I was at work (about 10 hours). In the evening I added the remaining ingredients and cooked on low for another hour. Made for PAC Fall '08