Prep 45 mins
Cook 7 mins
Pizza, Any Way You Slice It
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, such as white mushrooms, shiitake, oyster
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- pizza dough (for 12 inch pizza)
- 4 ounces italian Fontina cheese, rind removed and thinly sliced
- Thirty to sixty minutes before ready to bake the pizzas, place a baking stone on a rack in the lowest level of the oven; turn on oven to maximum temperature, 500°.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with damp paper towel; discard stems of shiitake mushrooms; cut mushrooms into thin slices.
- In a big pan, heat the oil with the garlic over medium heat; add in the mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper to taste; cook, stirring often.
- When the mushrooms liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned, add the parsley; let cool.
- Place pizza dough on a floured surface; Using your fingers, stretch and flatten dough out into a 12-inch circle.
- Dust a pizza peel with flour; place dough on the peel, shaking it once or twice to make sure it does not stick—if it does, lift the dough and dust the peel with more flour.
- Spread the cheese slices over the dough leaving a ½ inch border all around; top with the mushrooms.
- Slide pizza onto prepared baking stone; bake pizza 6-7 minutes or until the edges are puffed and the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove pizza to a cutting board; cut into wedges and serve immediately.