Recipe by Manami
Roasted wild mushrooms, redolent with garlic, shallots, and cognac, top garlic bread to make this spectacular irresistible appetizer. Country Living, October 2008. ;)
- 3 lbs mixed fresh mushrooms, cleaned and steammed
- 3 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely choped shallots
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄4 ounces shaved parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Slice fresh mushrooms 1/4-inch thick.
- Soak dried mushrooms in a bowl of hot water until tender, about 10 minutes; rinse and squeeze to dry.
- Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet until very hot.
- Add olive oil and fresh mushrooms.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, over high heat until mushrooms release their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots, garlic, rehydrated mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, cognac, butter, salt, pepper and sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast, stirring twice, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve warm on garlic bread with Parmesan curls.