Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
Roasted wild mushrooms, redolent with garlic, shallots, and cognac, top garlic bread to make this spectacular irresistible appetizer. Country Living, October 2008. ;)
- 3 lbs mixed fresh mushrooms, cleaned and steammed
- 3 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely choped shallots
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1⁄4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 1⁄4 ounces shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Slice fresh mushrooms 1/4-inch thick.
- Soak dried mushrooms in a bowl of hot water until tender, about 10 minutes; rinse and squeeze to dry.
- Heat a 12-inch ovenproof skillet until very hot.
- Add olive oil and fresh mushrooms.
- Cook, while stirring frequently, over high heat until mushrooms release their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shallots, garlic, rehydrated mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, cognac, butter, salt, pepper and sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast, stirring twice, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley.
- Serve warm on garlic bread with Parmesan curls.