Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was posted in our local newspaper this week. It looked so good, and I didn't see one like it in the database, so decided to share it.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded,chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) packagemixed wild mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 6 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- Heat large pot of water to boiling.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion.
- Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper; cook, stirring often, 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are lightly browned and liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper over mushrooms; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Turn heat to high; stir in broth.
- Cook, stirring often, to thicken and reduce slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add noodles to boiling water; cook according to package directions.
- Place in large serving bowl.
- Stir sour cream into mushroom mixture; heat until hot, but not boiling, about 1 minute.
- Pour over noodles.
- Add chopped parsley; toss to mix.
This is an excellent dish! I used a mix of shitake, button, and portabella mushrooms and used vegetable broth instead of beef. The flavors were incredible. Thanks for a yummy dish!
I love mushrooms and red bell pepper and this seemed a natural. But I found that the red pepper overwhelmed the more delicate flavor of the mushrooms. I made this yesterday, had some left, sauteed more mushrooms and put it all together, but the flavor of the bell pepper seemed to dominate. I will make this without the bell pepper in the future. I used some mascarpone instead of sour cream with a splash of vinegar to add a touch of acidity that the mascarpone lacks, and this worked well, as the mascarpone reheats really well. I also added a good handfull of chopped fresh dill, which is such a natural with mushrooms.
I'm sorry that I didn't have the wild mushrooms and had to use plain buttons. On the other hand this was still scrumptious and it was enjoyed very much. I used a light margarine and fat free sour cream making for a lovely lighter meal even with the noodles. I didn't have parsley on hand and I'm sure that it would have been a nice addition. I will certainly be making this again. Made for Photo Tag.