Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Vegitarian Society, stored here for safe keeping http://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/2004/strog.html
- 675 g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 150 ml milk or 150 ml soya milk
- 1 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, finely chopped
- 40 g butter or 40 g margarine
- 450 g assorted white mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150 ml double cream
- 50 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Boil or steam the potatoes until tender. Drain and return to the pan.
- Heat the milk, pour over the potatoes and mash well.
- Stir in the herbs and season to taste.
- Melt 15g butter or margarine in a pan. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, season to taste then heat gently - cover and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 25g of butter or margarine in a pan and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs and season to taste.
- To assemble, serve individually by placing equal portions of the mashed potato on each plate. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the top, and finish with the topping.
- Toast under a hot grill until golden brown.