Traditionally, stroganoff is served with rice, but for a different type of stroganoff, try serving this with a very thick wholemeal bread and some lightly salted butter. This recipe will serve up to 6, but since it is so delicious, realistically you will only get around 4 servings out of it! Sometimes it is a nice touch just to swirl a little cream onto each plate after the stroganoff has been served, then finish off with the freshly chopped parsley. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 5 sticks celery, very finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter (butter if possible) or 2 ounces margarine (butter if possible)
- 1 lb wild mushroom, Chop mushrooms according to taste (if possible try to have different types, such as morel, chanterelle etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs or 1 tablespoon fresh mixed herbs, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 6 tablespoons sour cream or 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1 ounce fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Fry the onions and celery in a heavy based pan, using the butter. Keep the heat low and fry for about 5 minutes in total. The onions should then be transparent and very soft.
- 2Add the mushrooms and fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until the juice runs out of the mushrooms. Do not adjust the heat, keeping it low will seal in the flavour of the mushrooms.
- 3Add in the herbs and basil. Next stir in the flour, making sure that you get rid of any lumps. If it is lumpy then beat vigorously. Cook for one minute, then add the stock and seasoning. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soured cream or yoghurt. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Return to the stove top and heat up to serving temperature, but be careful not to let it boil or this will spoil the flavour.
- 4Serve immediately (t is best served from the pan onto warmed plates, as opposed to transferring it into a serving dish).
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.2
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 38.4 mg
- Sodium 142.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: