Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Simple, earthy and so good.
- 6 1⁄2 cups dashi (see my dashi recipe)
- 16 ounces wild mushrooms (assorted, I like enoki, shitake, crimini)
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 3 green onions, sliced into rings
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Clean the mushrooms with a dry brush or a cloth to remove dirt.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan on medium to high heat; add the mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are 1/3 of their original size (5-10 minutes depending on your choice of mushroom).
- Add the dashi; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with soy sauce and salt.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with green onion and serve.
I had a wild mushroom soup at a japanese restaurant near my house that was so great. Unfortunately the service at that place is awful so I just couldn't bring myself to go back. This soup was even better than theirs and now I can satisfy my craving anytime!