Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Vegetarian Times, September 1999. If you have leftover wild rice to use for this recipe, use 1 cup. Cooking time will need to be adjusted. Serves 6.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked wild rice, well rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 lb mixed mushroom, chopped (such as shiitake, oyster and cremini)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- In medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water and salt to a boil. Stir in wild rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender, about 55 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and thyme and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Transfer half of soup to blender and blend until almost puréed. Return to saucepan and stir in wild rice and pepper. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Just before serving, stir in sherry if desired.