1/4 Photos of Wild Mushroom Risotto With Peas (Shrimp Too!)
1 hr 15 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
Wow, if you love mushrooms, this has an amazing deep rich flavor that can't be beat! Giada's recipe from her cookbook, Everyday Italian. The secret to an intense mushroom flavor is simmering the dried Porcini mushrooms in hot chicken broth. Any dried mushrooms will do, pick your favorite or make it a mushroom combo. Can be served as a side entree or the main meal if you you add shrimp, which I like to do. Makes 6 generous side or main entree portions. Cooking time does not include cooking shrimp Add 5-7 minutes for this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms or 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup dry white wine, I use Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen & thawed
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, I use Parm-Regiano
- pepper, several grinds to taste
- salt, plenty salty with the cheese (optional)
- 16 -36 raw shrimp, 4-6 per person (optional)
- 1Make this portion of the recipe ahead if desired:.
- 2Bring the broth to a simmer and add the dried Porcini mushrooms. Cover, remove from heat, and set aside until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mushrooms, cool and chop fine. SAVE the broth, cover and keep warm over a very low heat.
- 3Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat.
- 4Add the onions and garlic and saute' until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- 5Add the white mushrooms, porcini mushrooms; saute' until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 7-10 minutes.
- 6Stir in the rice and coat with the mushroom mixture.
- 7Add the wine; cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- 8Add 1 C of hot broth to the arborio rice; simmer over med-low heat, stirring often until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Repeat and continue to cook until the rice is just tender and the mixture is creamy, adding more hot broth by cupfuls and stirring often, about 28 minutes. You may not use all the broth. Check for desired level of doneness. Some like it al dente, I prefer it more tender, so I add more time and keep checking.
- 9Stir in the peas, mix in the Parmesan cheese, season with salt & pepper.
- 10OPTIONAL: *At this point I top with defrosted raw shrimp. Nestle the shrimp into the risotto and let them cook through on one side, then flip over to cook the other side. They will turn pink and opaque in color. This takes about 5-7 minutes depending on the size of the shrimp.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushroom Risotto With Peas (Shrimp Too!)
Serving Size: 1 (464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.4
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.1 mg
- Sodium 1440.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 23.1 g