Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
I originally made this as a side dish for Osso Bucco. The leftovers were fantastic all by themselves! Mushroom broth or vegetable broth can be substitutes.
- 5 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 lb wild mushroom, sliced (oyster, crimini, shiitake)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about 2 oz)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Bring chicken broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep broth hot.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter with olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add wild mushrooms; cook until mushrooms are tender and juices are released, about 8 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat. Add sherry and simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add 3/4 cup hot chicken broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining hot chicken broth 3/4 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh thyme. Serve warm.
- You may not need to use all the broth.
This has become a family favorite. Delicious with truffle-infused olive oil! The fresh thyme makes the dish.
this was so good! i served with bourbon chicken (Bourbon Chicken) and the flavors were amazing! thanks for posting!
really good risotto, very flavourfull, was out of sherry so used a nice dry white wine and crimini mushrooms, the parmesan and fresh thyme right out of the garden. Wonderful combination of ingredients. Thanks for sharing a good one!!