Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adapted recipe from the Woodfire Grill, Atlanta GA that appeared in Bon Appétit magazine in the September 2004 issue. It is a little taste of heaven that will delight your taste buds and still satisfy a hearty appetite
- 1 (6 inch) fat-free whole wheat pita bread
- 2 teaspoons Smart Balance light butter spread, divided
- 3⁄4 cup onion (halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1 cup wild mushroom (assorted such as crimini, oyster, chanterelle, and stemmed shiitake cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon shallot (minced)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (Chiffanod)
- 3 pieces sun-dried tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat a Pizza Stone in a 450-degree oven at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Melt 1 teaspoons butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until golden, about 15–20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt remaining teaspoons butter with 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and shallot. Sauté 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes move to 1 side of the pan. In the other side of the pan add Sun Dried Tomato and basil and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Lightly brush whole wheat pita with olive and garlic oil. Sprinkle with 1oz Reduced Fat Mozzarella cheese. Scatter onions over cheese. Scatter mushrooms over onions. Scatter Sun dried Tomato and Basil over mushrooms and top with remaining 1 oz Reduced Fat Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Position Pita in the center of the pizza stone and Bake for 10 minutes or until crust and cheese is a golden brown. Using large spatula, carefully transfer pizzas to cutting board. Let rest 1 minute. Slice into wedges and serve.
This was lovely - the combination of flavours all went really well together!