Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese or 1⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 portabella mushroom caps, halved and thinly sliced
- 16 fresh shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced at an angle
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a covered saucepan.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add in oil and butter.
- When the butter melts, add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until mushrooms are all dark and tender.
- Add in vinegar; stir to coat; the vinegar will cook away in about 1 minute.
- Add in beef broth and scallions; toss to combine.
- Stir polenta into boiling chicken broth until it masses; stir in butter and cheese and season with salt to taste.
- Serve polenta topped with Mushroom Fricassee.