Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This would be more accurately called "specialty" or "exotic" mushroom cheese puffs. You should never try picking your own wild mushrooms unless you are an expert. Adapted from The New Irish Table.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces mixed mushrooms, finely chopped (such as chanterelles, porcini, morels, portobello, crimini, shitake, oyster, enoki)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, Kerrygold brand preferred
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and shallots and saute until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Generously grease 24 miniature muffin cups.
- Distribute the mushroom mixture evenly among the muffin cups.
- Whisk eggs, half-and-half, parsley, mustard, salt, pepper and bread crumbs together.
- Stir in cheese.
- Spoon over mushrooms.
- Bake until lightly browned and puffed, 25-30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool 5 minutes.
- Loosen from cups with a knife.
- Turn out onto serving plate.
- These can be made ahead or reheated in a 300° oven for 5 minutes.