Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Highlights the earthy flavor of wild mushrooms.
- 8 slices lean bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 lb fresh wild mushroom, stems removed and cut into bite-size pieces (chanterelles, ceps, shiitakes, morels)
- 4 scallions, chopped (white part only)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 10 slices multigrain bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a 2 ½ quart casserole dish; set aside.
- In a big skillet, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside.
- Drain fat from skillet; melt butter over medium heat; add in mushrooms, scallions, and bell pepper; cook/stir 10 minutes, until soft; remove from heat.
- Arrange 5 slices of bread in casserole dish; top with half the cheese, and spoon all the mushroom mixture over the cheese.
- Arrange the remaining bread slices over the mushrooms; top with remaining cheese.
- In a big bowl, beat eggs with milk and mustard; season with salt and pepper; pour evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and tomato; bake about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean—check at 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t get too dry.