Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This can be cooked ahead and reheated. Don't wash the potatoes as their starch holds this dish together.
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Soak the mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes, drain and slice, saving the liquid for stock if desired.
- heat 1/5th of the butter and gently stew the garlic for 3 - 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Season and set aside.
- Peel and slice the potatoes. Butter a 20cm ovenproof pan and place an overlapping layer of potatoes in the bottom. Buildup the cake using alternate layers of potatoes and mushroom mix adding dots of the butter as you go, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until a knife slides into the cake easily.
- Remove from oven, run a knife around the outside of the cake and leave to rest for 5 minutes. Turn out and allow to cool, this helps keep the cakes shape.
- Reheat when desired.