Recipe by Roosie
From The Best-Ever Pastry Cookbook by Catherine Atkinson. Yum. Times are estimates and does not include chilling time (especially as you can make the filling while the pastry chills).
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, diced
- 1⁄2 cup ground walnuts (roasted if desired)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dried wild mushrooms (1 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 egg
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 ounce Fontina cheese, sliced very thin (grated would also be fine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- arugula, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- >>Pastry:Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Be sure to add any bits of bran that get caught in the sifter.
- Rub or cut in the butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ground walnuts.
- Add egg and mix to form a soft dough.
- Form a disc of the pastry (this helps minimize the handling after the dough has been chilled when you roll it out) and cover in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- If you refrigerate longer than this, let dough sit at room temperature for a few minutes or until workable.
- >>TARTLETS:While your dough is chilling, soak the mushrooms in the boiling water.
- Drain through a fine sieve and reserve the liquid.
- Heat your oil in a large frying pan.
- Sautee the onions for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat, until softened and very lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and sautee for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the soaked mushrooms to the pan and cook for about 7 minutes over high heat.
- Add the sherry and reserved liquid left from the mushrooms.
- Cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Season as desired with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Butter four 4" tartlet tins or mini-quiche pans.
- Roll your chilled pastry out on a lightly floured work surface and line the tins.
- Prick the pastries all over with a fork, line with foil and fill with beans, rice or the beads specifically designed for blind baking pie crust.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, then remove the foil and beans/beads/rice.
- This is called"blind baking" your crust.
- Lightly whisk together your egg and cream.
- Add the mushroom mixture and season to taste.
- Spoon this mixture into the pastry shells and top with cheese.
- Bake at 400F about 20 minutes or until the filling is set.
- Serve warm with arugula.