Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
from The slow cooker cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 red jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 shallots, peeled and chopped fine
- 8 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces wild mushrooms (such as chanterelles or oysters, wiped clean)
- 1 1⁄2 cups button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock or 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- flat leaf parsley (to garnish)
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in hot (not boiling) water for a least 20 minutes. Drain, reserving the water.
- Preheat the slow cooker on high.
- In a large skillet, saute the chiles, garlic, shallots and potatoes for 5 minutes in the olive oil.
- Cut any large wild or button mushrooms into small pieces and add to the pan with the drained porcini mushrooms. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook and stir for 2 more minutes. Add the broth, gradually, and stir.
- Strain the reserved soaking liquid and add this to the pan as well.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then place in the preheated slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 4-5 hours.
- Before serving: cool slightly and blend with an immersion blender. Stir in the sour cream and taste for seasoning.
- Reheat if necessary.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley.