Recipe by Outta Here
I got this recipe 10 years ago from one of the old cooking BBS Fidonets. (remember those?!) It was posted by Eleanor Creighton. I hope she doesn't mind my re-posting it here. Use dried chantrelles, cepes, morels or a mixture.
Top Review by French Tart
Superb! What a delightful and full flavoured soup , and yet creamy too! I used cepes, chanterelles, trompettes de la mort and morels in this soup, as well as some field mushrooms. My broth was vegetable and had no added salt. I decided to garnish the soup with a floral herbal bouquet, and adorned it with lemon thyme flowers, loveage and thyme sprigs! Made for Photo Tag and submitted for May Flowers in the Photos Forum as well! Merci beaucoup encore Mike! FT:-)
- 15 dried wild mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, boiling
- 4 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced (stems removed)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine dried mushrooms, 1/4 cup broth and 2 tbs. of the Madeira. Let stand 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain off liquid and discard.
- Squeeze out excess liquid. Coarsely chop mushrooms. In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender 2 to 3 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add 4 cups broth and pepper.
- Bring to boiling stirring constantly. Reduce heat simmer uncovered, 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove 2 cups soup mixture and puree in blender or food processor.
- Return to saucepan. Stir in buttermilk and remaining Madeira and heat through. Do not boil.
- Serve with hot, crusty bread.