1/3 Photos of Wild Mushroom and Buttermilk Soup
1 hr 10 mins
I got this recipe 10 years ago from one of the old cooking BBS Fidonets. (remember those?!) It was posted by Eleanor Creighton. I hope she doesn't mind my re-posting it here. Use dried chantrelles, cepes, morels or a mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 dried wild mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, boiling
- 4 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 3 cups button mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced (stems removed)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1In a small bowl combine dried mushrooms, 1/4 cup broth and 2 tbs. of the Madeira. Let stand 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Drain off liquid and discard.
- 2Squeeze out excess liquid. Coarsely chop mushrooms. In a large saucepan melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender 2 to 3 minutes or until most liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour. Add 4 cups broth and pepper.
- 3Bring to boiling stirring constantly. Reduce heat simmer uncovered, 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove 2 cups soup mixture and puree in blender or food processor.
- 4Return to saucepan. Stir in buttermilk and remaining Madeira and heat through. Do not boil.
- 5Serve with hot, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushroom and Buttermilk Soup
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 32.3 mg
- Sodium 945.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried wild mushrooms