1/4 Photos of Wild Mushroom and Barley Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Mama's Kitchen (Hope)'s Note:
Dried mushrooms and fresh veggies are simmered in a thyme and sherry flavored stock to create an easy and delicious soup fancy enough for company. NOTE: Sherry can be substituted as instructed here on Zaar or by using an equal amount of apple or orange juice to which a teaspoon of vanilla, orange or almond extract has been added. Recipe courtesy of Chef David Paquet, owner of Niagara Gourmet, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 2B2 www.niagaragourmet.ca Posted for World Tour 2005, Canada
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 liter water or 4 1/4 cups water
- 30 g dried mushrooms or 1 1/2 ounces dried mushrooms, any variety
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1/2 liter beef stock (1/2 liter is 51 ounces) or 1/2 liter vegetable stock or 1/2 liter chicken stock
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons thyme, chopped
- 1Heat water to steaming and add mushrooms.
- 2Cover and let stand for at least 20 minutes until soft.
- 3Strain, reserve broth and chop mushrooms.
- 4Melt butter, add onion, reduce to low and cook, stirring often until caramelized (15 minutes).
- 5Add celery and carrots, cook 5 minutes.
- 6Add mushrooms, cook 2 minutes.
- 7Add Sherry and cook until almost evaporated.
- 8Stir in mushroom broth (reserved liquid from soaking), stock & barley.
- 9Simmer 30 minutes until almost tender.
- 10Stir in thyme, salt & pepper.
- 11Simmer 5 to 10 minutes until tender.
- 12For Vegetarian use the Vegetable stock.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Mushroom and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 208.6
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 355.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g