Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Delicious recipe and so simple to make! Creamy and tender risotto compliments any meal.
- 1⁄2 cup assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated.
- In a separate pot bring chicken broth to a boil. Keep hot over low heat.
- Add barley to mushroom mixture and stir to coat.
- Add 1 cup of hot stock. Cook over medium heat until absorbed stirring occasionally. This should take approximately 15 minutes. If the liquid absorbs too quickly, reduce heat. Repeat with remaining cups of hot stock, adding 1 cup at a time, cooking until liquid is absorbed. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Cook until the barley is slightly creamy and just tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This actually smelled quite good, but in the end it was a flop. The barley was mushy, and it was bland, bland, bland. I will definitely not be making this again.