Another Heart Healthy recipe. This recipe features Portobellos, but feel free to substitute another variety of wild or cultivated mushroom. Can be made into a vegetarian dish by using vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces portabella mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley, uncooked
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons dill weed, snipped or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- Heat a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Pour the oil into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released some of their juices and the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the barley; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low; cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the barley is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the dillweed.