Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Suitable for roasting caribou, moose, deer, or hare. Beef may be substituted for game meat.
- 2 lbs wild game (or beef)
- 1⁄4 lb salted lard
- 2 medium onions, cut in small pieces
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- On the stove, in an ovenproof casserole dish, melt thin slices of the salt lard.
- Add the pieces of onion and brown them slightly.
- Add the pieces of meat.
- Add the water.
- Cover the casserole and put in oven.
- Cook at 325°F for 1/2 hour, then lower the temperature to 225°F and cook for 4 hours.
- A half hour before the end of cooking time, add some sliced potatoes and spoonfuls of bannock dough to the broth around the meat.
- For Bannock Dough: Mix dry ingredients.
- Add water until the dough feels like a soft earlobe.