Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Ambya Kusal - adapted from a recipe in "Indian in 6" by Monisha Bharadwaj. Enjoy the contrast of the bright-colored mango and black mustard seeds.
- 4 small ripe mangoes or 1 large ripe mango
- 1⁄2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 4 curry leaves or 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 dried red chilies, stalks pinched off and seeds shaken out or 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- Peel the mangoes, remove the pits and cube the flesh.
- Heat the oil in a wok or small saucepan and fry the mustard seeds until they pop.
- Reduce the heat and add the curry leaves and the chiles.
- Pour this oil with the spices into the mangoes. Mix lightly. Let the salad cool and serve at room temperature.
I love curry leaves (I always keep some in the freezer) and they went really well in this salad, which is quite unique.