Recipe by carrie sheridan
The official recipe for wild huckleberry reduction for the bison tenderloins and red potato horseradish cakes served on January 20, 2013 as part of the second course at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- 4 ounces veal demi-glace
- 1 cup huckleberries, fresh if in season
- 1 teaspoon bitter chocolate
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups port wine
- 1 cup mirepoix (medium dice of carrot, celery, onion and leek)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy sauce pot, sauté mirepoix for 8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the port wine, 1/2 cup of the huckleberries and demi glacé and then allow this to reduce by half to intensify the flavor.
- Strain through a sieve and return to a clean sauce pot.
- Prior to serving, bring sauce to a simmer and add the chocolate, remaining 1/2 cup of huckleberries and butter.
- Serve immediately.