Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
A great tasting huckleberry pie!
- 5 cups northwest wild blue huckleberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons tapioca
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (fresh)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Mix the above ingredients together with a spoon so that everything is well distributed;
- pour into the bottom pie shell as it sets in the pie plate.
- Dot the top of the mixture with 2 or 3 dabs of butter.
- Top off with the second pie shell.
- Once it is correctly positioned you should have a 1” overlap on the top crust so that it can be crimped with the bottom crust.
- Crimp or pinch the two crusts together and make a decorative edge to seal the two piecrusts.
- The pie can be refrigerated until you are ready to bake or baked immediately.
- To bake, preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the pie on the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 15 minutes then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees and continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until the filling starts to bubble over.
- Once the pie looks done and the crust is a light golden brown, it should be done.
- Take it out and let the pie cool on a cooling rack until it is ready to serve.
This is a delicious recipe and it is not runny. I would change the cup and a ½ of sugar to one and a quarter cups for myself. Two thumbs up on this recipe. Kelcy July 21 2015 ?
This recipe is amazing! I used 3 cups of huckleberries instead of 4. Also, I find it helpful to use 6 tablespoons if cornstarch and substitute 4 tablespoons of flour for the tapioca. If you want the pie tart, use a 2/3 cup of sugar. This is the best huckleberry pie recipe on the internet!
I had to make this with half the huckleberries, but halving all the ingredients worked and made for a very yummy pie! Thanks so much for the easy and tasty recipe!