Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
We got a bumper crop of gooseberries for the first time this year. Unfortunately the plum didn't produce much, but I got enough to make this recipe. The colour is really beautiful. I served this over my coconut mint chip ice cream!
- 2 cups dark purple gooseberries
- 2 cups plums (I used small red Pisardi plums)
- 2 tablespoons dry sweetener (I used Xylitol)
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a food mill to remove the skins and seeds/pits from the fruit.
- I have two circular metal sieve like inserts for my food mill. I used the one with the small holes for the gooseberries and the one with the big holes for the plums.
- Process the berries and plums into a dish or pot whatever you like, then add the Xylitol or sugar if you prefer. But taste it after adding 1 tablespoons It won't be super sweet or anything. If you don't like it tart add more sweetener to suit your tastes.
- Put in a tight sealing jar and store in the fridge.
- Bon Appetit!