echo echo's Note:
This is a recipe that I adopted in the Recipezaar restaurant give-away of Feb 2005. Just want to warn that I have not yet made this recipe and therefore cannot yet vouch for it, although I chose it because it appeared to me that it has potential to be tasty and interesting. I plan on eventually cooking this and, if needed, will post any changes I think are called for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak plucked and cleaned goose overnight in well salted water.
- 2Rinse and dry, then stuff with 2 onions and 2 apples, both quartered.
- 3Place breast side up in open roaster pan and cover with 2 strips thick bacon.
- 4Brown in 475 degree oven until bacon is crisp.
- 5Take all fat from pan and discard.
- 6Remove bacon.
- 7Add to the pan 1 onion, quartered, 1 carrot, quartered, 1 cut up stalk of celery, 1 bay leaf, 2 or 3 sprigs of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 2 cans consomme with 2 cans water, and 1 cup of dry red wine.
- 8Cover the pan and roast at 375 degrees for 2 to 2-1/2 hours, basting often.
- 9Goose should be done so that meat will readily pull off carcass.
- 10Remove goose from roaster and place on warm platter.
- 11Remove and discard stuffing.
- 12Strain the gravy and thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water.
- 13Correct seasoning if necessary.
- 14Serve with wild rice.
Browse Our Top Goose Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Goose
Serving Size: 1 (3225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 5459.8
- Calories from Fat 3129
- Total Fat 347.7 g
- Saturated Fat 109.0 g
- Cholesterol 1419.5 mg
- Sodium 5368.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.9 g
- Sugars 56.9 g
- Protein 412.6 g