Recipe by MarraMamba
From the wonderful Wild Ginger Restaurant in Seattle. I won't be trying to make the accompaniments yet but the satay sounds delicious. Time does not include marinading time
FOR THE LAMB
- 1 lb lamb sirloin, trim fat and cut into 1 cubes (approx. 32 for eight skewers)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 small shallots, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon indonesian sweet soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 8 wooden skewers
FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 slices medium shallots
- 2 slices small red onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red chili, flake
- 3 candle nuts, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts, pounded
FOR THE RICE CAKES
- 1⁄2 cup jasmine rice
- 1⁄2 cup sticky rice
- 1 cup water (substitute coconut milk for 1/2 of the cooking liquid)
FOR THE CUCUMBER PICKLES
- 1 lb small pickling cucumber
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 4 slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 4 shallots, peeled and quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix garlic, shallots, soy sauce and black pepper in medium size bowl. Add lamb and coat with marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. While lamb is marinating, soak wooden skewers in water.
- Put 4 pieces of marinated lamb on each skewer and grill, 2 minutes on each side, over charcoal or gas.
- Serve with peanut sauce, rice cakes and pickled cucumber slices.
- Peanut sauce:.
- Heat oil in wok or shallow pan and fry shallot and red onion until light brown. Add cumin, coriander and chili flakes and cook over medium heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add candle nuts and cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, coconut cream and brown sugar and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Transfer cooked ingredients to blender or food processor. Add crushed peanuts and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Rice Cakes:.
- Cook rice in rice cooker or on stove top. Spread cooked rice onto square or oblong sheet pan with 1” high sides.
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and use a rolling pin to compress rice. Cut into 1-1/2” squares.
- For the cucumber pickles:.
- Slice cucumbers 1/4 inch thick and combine with 1 tsp salt. Let sit for 1 hour. Rinse cucumbers with fresh water and drain well.
- Combine remaining salt, vinegar, sugar, and 5 tablespoons hot water. Stir to dissolve. Pour over cucumbers and toss with shallots and ginger.
- Serve after 1 hour.