Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes
- Grease iron pot.
- Cut and quarter apples and put in pot.
- Place cleaned fowl amongst apples.
- Slice onion and place on top of bird and pour cider over.
- Place pot on pot hook over coals. Add water as needed from time to time.
- Cook fowl until tender, 2-3 hours.
- For last 1/2 hour add herbs and spices tied in a muslim bag and a little molasses.
- Remove fowl and then thicken remaining liquid with cornflour before serving.