Recipe by Pikake21
This is the must-try mushroom soup that you can find at Joey's Restaurants up here in the Northwest. It's my all-time favorite mushroom soup, and I think that is because of the sherry that is added. When I saw a note in their menu that this recipe was featured in a magazine a couple of years ago, I had to find it. Enjoy!
Top Review by RachelLeah
This is the best mushroom soup recipe ever. It was simple to make and is full of flavour. We were at Joey's for lunch on the weekend and I needed a new favorite from their menu because I can make the soup so easily at home!
- 7.08 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 large onion, minced
- 44.37 ml salted butter
- 226.79 g white mushroom, thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml fine sea salt
- 2.46 ml dried tarragon, crumbled
- 2.46 ml dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 946.36 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml medium-dry sherry
- chopped scallion top (optional)
- fresh mushrooms (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind dried porcini in a blender until powderly.
- Cook onion in 1 T butter in a 4 to 5 quart heavy pot, covered, over moderate heat, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Fresh mushrooms, porcini powder, seal salt, tarragon oregano, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining 2T butter and cook, stirring, until melted, then sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is very thick and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 C chick broth, scraping up any brown bits, until mixture is smooth.
- Add remaining broth in a stream, whisking until liquid is smooth.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking, then stir in cream and Sherry and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally 10 minutes.