Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These would be nice to have on a Thanksgiving breakfast table. This came in an email this morning. I've never heard of bottled or canned cranberries before so when I make this I'm going to use 1 cup fresh cranberries chopped.
- 1 cup bottled cranberries or 1 cup canned cranberries, drained
- 2 tablespoons orange peel, freshly grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix cranberries and orange peel, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine egg substitute, orange juice, and oil.
- Add all at once to the flour mixture.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
- Fill muffins cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until done.
These were easy to make and tasted good, but were not quite sweet enough. I think that is because I used fresh berries, since I couldn't find the canned, and the canned would be sweetened. I used to see canned wild cranberries from Maine years ago, but couldn't find them. I just lightly chopped fresh. So perhaps a little more sugar mixed in with the berries and orange peel. They also make a rather small muffin, to get the yield of 12.