Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The idea of al dente perfectly seasoned roasted squash together with plump Sea Scallops topped with a tomato basil sauce will have you forgetting there is not a starch in the recipe.
- 6 ounces spaghetti squash, cooked
- 8 ounces sea scallops
- 2 teaspoons seasoned rice flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chiffiande
- to taste kosher salt
- to taste black pepper
- garnish with pecorino romano cheese, grated
- preheat oven to 425 degrees. cut squash in half the long way. place squash, flat side down, on a pan sprayed sheet pan with kosher salt. Add 1/2 cup water and place in over for 40-50 minutes.
- create sauce by heating olive oil in sauce pot, until just smoking, add garlic and "toast", saute until golden brown.
- add crushed tomatoes and simmer around 10-15 minutes. season with salt, pepper and fresh basil.
- Pan sear seasoned rice flour dusted, scallops in a pan with scant amount of oil. Sear for approx, 1 minute on each side.
- Deglaze wtih 2 T of lemon juice.
- Remove from pan and add 1/2 cup tomato sacue to pull flavors from pan. add back into the sauce pot of tomato sauce.
- Remove squash from oven. allow to cool until you are able to handle. using a fork scrap spaghetti squash into a bowl. fluff by using two forks, by pulling apart strands.
- reheat by sauteing breifly in a heated pan.
- to plate you will place a nest of squash in the center of the plate. place 6 scallops falling off the nest and top with 1/2 cup or so of tomato basil sauce.
- sprinkle with fresh grated cheese, optional.
This was fantastic! I had to make substitutions based on what I had on hand. I used cod fillets instead of scallops. I also had no fresh basil so I added some homemade basil pesto to the crushed tomatoes. I unintentionally simmered it longer than usual so it reduced to a nice thick sauce. (This time the household distractions worked in my favor!) Next time I make this recipe it will be with scallops which I love more than cod. This is now one of my favorite lite seafood dishes. Thanks so much for making me seem like a great cook!
Great main dish! I had large scallops and they were excellent with the sauce and squash. I'm going to make again before winter is out!