Recipe by Sharlene~W
Sam Talbot's offering on Top Chef. Everyone was raving about it, so I just had to try it! This makes two very satisfying servings, but there is enough of the lemon/oil to toss more spinach in and plenty chimichurri sauce for at least 2-4 more servings. I diced the fruit up for the first batch, but for the second I just did a rough chop. It might not be as refined looking, but it was wonderful. One thing I did that I felt added to the flavor profile was a slight sprinkling of fine sea salt to finish it off. Wonderful salad. I plan on serving it many times next summer when the melons are at their peak. I am a light weight when it comes to spicy food and I thought the amount of red chili flakes was just right.
Top Review by Amber Dawn
Oh wow! I don't if I can find the right words to describe just how much I loved this salad. It's very refreshing. Has a great mixture of sweetness, zestyness and spicyness. The presentation turned out quite beautiful with all the various fruit colors. I will be making this again and again
- 1⁄4 cup diced pineapple
- 1⁄4 cup diced watermelon
- 1⁄4 cup green seedless grapes or 1⁄4 cup red seedless grapes, mixed cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup diced cantaloupe
- 1⁄4 cup diced roasted red pepper, strips
Spicy Mint Chimichurri
- 1 tablespoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 cups chopped Baby Spinach
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup shredded gouda cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Chimichurri sauce: Combine all ingredients in a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Combine fruit and red peppers with chimichurri sauce.
- Mix well to coat all fruit.
- Cover and set aside to allow to marinate for 10-30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, olive oil and lemon juice. Toss gently to combine.
- To serve, divide spinach between two plates. Arrange fruit mixture on top of spinach and garnish with shredded gouda cheese. (I used a slotted spoon to drain off excess sauce).