Recipe by grandma2969
I like to make these up and give to neighbors and friends at Christmas...they even go well at bake sales!
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup small mixed bird seed
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
Directions See How It's Made
- layer ingredients in order given, cornmeal first, in a 1 quart wide mouth jar pressing each layer very firmly before adding next layer.
- decorate jar and attach a recipe card with the following instructions --
- WILDBIRD TREATS.
- Empty all ingredients from jar into a large bowl -- mix.
- add: 3/4 cup peanut butter, smooth or crunchy -- and 1 cup water.
- mix very well -- add more water if necessary to make a stiff dough.
- spread in a 9x13" baking pan --
- Use knife to cut bars into 2x4" bars. Leave bars in place.
- bake at 250* for 45 minutes.
- leave in pan to cool --
- cut into bars along cut lines.
- feed wild birds one bar at a time.
- keep remaining bars refrigerated until needed.